About the Nourishing Network
In 2014, the Foundation for Edmonds School District launched the Nourishing Network program in partnership with and at the request of the Edmonds School District. What originally started as weekend meals to feed our hungry and homeless students has quickly blossomed into more comprehensive programs to help sustain our most fragile students.
Our role has evolved beyond just addressing food stability, and we are now a provider of other essential services to students and their families. Our goal is to help reduce their stress over basic needs so that the students can focus their attention on learning.
Today, over 600 Edmond School District students are homeless. On average, 36% of our families are on free and reduced lunch programs. Often these students leave school Friday and do not have another meal until Monday morning.
How We Nourish
- Weekend Meals – 145+ students in 19 schools are served weekly.
- Holiday Meals – 60 holiday meals were provided to families before the December 2015 school break
- Summer Meals – In 2015 we piloted a summer meal program that served 13 students for about six weeks. Children received a nutritious lunch and participated in fun physical activities as part of the program. In 2016, we are planning to have two summer meal sites in the district to serve even more students.
- Hygiene Products – Both basic care items and feminine hygiene products are provided monthly.
- Future Plans in Development – Together with other partners, we are exploring ways to support families with their needs for clothing, rent assistance, transportation and student mentoring.
We cannot do this incredibly meaningful work alone. With your generous help and the help of our caring community, The Nourishing Network provides these essential services to families in need.
Our network of over forty Community Partners, including faith-based organizations, local businesses, civic groups, and other volunteer organizations, help us in many ways including monetary gifts, fundraisers or food drives, and also with their time helping to sort and shelf food in our pantry, or to pack food each week for students.
We now have two storage pantries, and are looking for an even larger space to meet our growing needs. Head to our Ways to Help page for more information on getting involved. For some insight into how we gather and distribute meals to students, don’t miss the brief presentation below.
For any questions regarding the Nourishing Network program, contact our Program Coordinator via email or 425.431.7092